- Miss Jennie Crackles (business studies and ICT teacher) returned from maternity leave on 9th May 2016.
- Dr Mark Smith (science teacher) will be leaving the school at the end of August 2016, in order to take his career in a new direction.
- Miss Rebecca Newman (science teacher) has tendered her resignation with effect from 31st August 2016, in order to take up the offer of undertaking a fully funded PhD. The PhD is a network PhD run by York, Sheffield and Leeds Universities. It is working in partnership with the CGIAR Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS) programme. She will also have a desk at Nairobi University. The project is funded by White Rose (ERSC). The research itself takes place in the Taita Hills, Eastern Arc Mountains Kenya. It would be great to see if there is any way in which her work could link in with that of the school.
- Mr Christopher Johnson (mathematics teacher) has secured a new teaching position at South Holderness Technology College.
- Mrs Cadence Knights (HLTA for mathematics) will not be returning from maternity leave, following the birth of her third child. Her husband has secured a new position in Norfolk and the whole family will be relocating at the end of June 2016.
- Miss Rebecca Brigg will be taking maternity leave from the end of July 2016 until Easter 2017. Mrs Jenny Mackey, Assistant Curriculum Area Leader, (ACAL for science) will temporarily take over the leadership of The Science Faculty and Mrs Sophie Bell and Mr Andrew Milson additionally become the Acting ACALs for science.
- Miss Jenna Strain (PE teacher) has been offered the opportunity to undertake a sabbatical year at the English School in Dubai. I have agreed to a twelve-month sabbatical. Miss Lucy Holt will, therefore, stay with us for another twelve months.
- The Board of Governors have decided that in line with the school's September re-branding and redefinition of responsibilities, members of the leadership team will be known, from that time, by the titles of Principal; Vice Principal; Assistant Principal; Deputy Assistant Principal and Associate Assistant Principal. The team and their titles will, therefore, be as follows:
Mr Paul Eckersley Vice Principals
Mrs Joanne Carter-Mills; Mr Stuart Lewis & Mrs Amanda Lumb
Mr Carl Cousins & Mr Matthew Sinclair
Deputy Assistant Principals
Miss Vicki Gorton; Miss Gail Smith & Mrs Caroline Young
Associate Assistant Principal
Miss Samantha Johnson
Mrs Samantha Sheard
- From September 2016 Mrs Elizabeth Roberts (Head of Year 9, from September 2016 and CAL for drama) will be going part-time and reducing her hours to 0.84FTE.
- Mrs Henna Iqbal (history teacher) will be taking maternity leave from 24th September 2016 until May 2017. Miss Sarah McCabe has been appointed as her temporary replacement.
- Mr Josh Lewis and Miss Jo Tattersall have been appointed as full-time permanent teachers of science, together with Mrs Lola Brackenbury, as a 0.6FTE temporary teacher of science, for two terms in the first instance, to cover Miss Rebecca Brigg’s maternity leave.
- We have appointed a new ICT Technician, Mr Chris Daniel as a replacement for Mr Tom Harland, who will be taking over from Mr Malcolm Hemingway (ICT Manager) when he retires in August 2016.
- Mrs Caroline Young will be the new SENDL to replace Mrs Susan Caddy who retires fully in August 2016. Mrs Young will sit on the school’s SLT as a Deputy Assistant Principal. Mrs Helen Fenton, teacher for SEND, will also retire at the same time.
- Miss Elizabeth Crawford will be taking on the newly created post of Assistant SENDL.
- We have appointed three additional Acting Teaching & Learning Coaches, Mr Will Khambatta (English teacher); Miss Rebecca McClintock (D&T teacher) and Mrs Helen Metcalfe (KS3 English Progress Co-ordinator to join the T&L team, together with Miss Katie Levitt as part of her role as the Co-ordinator for More-Able Students, until December 2017 in the first instance.
- We have appointed two new full-time permanent mathematics teachers, Miss Charlotte Cole and Mr Terry Katebe. They will take up their posts on 1st September 2016.
- We have decided, given the importance attached to the subjects that make up the ‘E. Bacc. measure’ to re-design the composition of the faculties, together with re-naming them in line with these changes. We will be establishing an E. Bacc. Faculty that will contain the following subjects:geography, history, MFL, RE and sociology. Mrs Sarah Wardell, in addition to her duties as the Assistant AIM Co-ordinator, will take on the role of Head of Faculty for one year in the first instance.
The Faculty of Pure and Physical Sciences will still contain computer science, but be renamed The Science Faculty.
The Global Languages Faculty will be renamed The Mathematics, Business & Enterprise Faculty.
The English and Social Sciences Faculty will now only additionally contain media studies so will be renamed The English & Media Studies Faculty.
The Performance and Creative Arts Faculty will be unchanged.
- Mr Simeon Birchall (science teacher) has been appointed as the Acting Initial Teacher Training (ITT) Co-ordinator until August 2017 in the first instance.
- Miss Laura Cant currently the CAL for music will be returning from maternity leave on 21st July 2016. On her return she will be stepping down from her curriculum area leader’s role and Mr Lanzillotti will become the permanent CAL for music; a role he has been undertaking in a temporary capacity during Miss Cant’s absence.
- Miss Zoe Martin has been appointed as a temporary teacher of English to cover the remainder of Mrs Rowena Pickering’s maternity leave.
- Mr James Dyke (English teacher) has been appointed as the Acting Ensuring Progress at KS4 Co-ordinator in Mrs Rowena Pickering’s absence.
- Emma Elgie (PSTM) has be deployed on a temporary full-time basis until the end of term within the behaviour and safeguarding team to support the work of Miss Jane Holman (School Social Worker) with regard to helping and counselling students engaging in risk taking behaviours. The situation will be reviewed in September with a view to retaining the hours and the deployment.
- Mrs Lisa Cawkwell (ASSM) who was seconded to the Personal Support Mentoring Team will return to her ASSM from 1st September 2016 unless Mr Gill’s (PSTM) return to work, following a major operation is delayed beyond that date. Mrs Monika Thornton will continue as an additional ASSM on a permanent basis.
- We have reorganised the lower school curriculum and there is now no longer a need for a designated TLR for the role of Personalised Block Co-ordinator. The current post holder is Miss Katie Levitt and given that Miss Gail Smith is no longer in a position to discharge her defined responsibilities in respect of the more-able, we have asked her to take on the sole co-ordination of more-able students.
- The leadership and management within mathematics is changing slightly in so far as designated members of staff, in addition to other responsibilities within the faculty, will be taking on the remit for particular year groups and the progress that individuals are making in mathematics. The allocated year groups are as follows:
Mr Spence Year 7
Mrs Thacker Year 8
Miss Walmsley Year 10Mr Jones Years 9 & 11
- Miss Sarah Carmichael (temporary GSSM) has been appointed permanently to the position of GSSM as the replacement for Mrs Iryna Durham.
- Mrs Caroline Coates who is leaving to take up a TAs post at Manor C of E Academy in York.
- We have advertised for a replacement GSSM for Mrs Claire Dugher (GSSM) who is leaving to undertake a PGCE at Leeds Trinity University and St Wilfred’s Secondary School, together with an additional GSSM to support the late arrival of a student who is in receipt of an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP).
- We are currently reviewing the support afforded to Pupil Premium (PP) students and I will communicate any changes in due course.
- Miss Rebbecca McClintock (D&T teacher) Miss Laura Cant (music teacher) are both getting married this summer and their respective married names will be Cooper and Stephenson.
I am sure you will wish to join me in thanking all those staff who are leaving for all that they have done for both the students and the school, but a special mention must go to Mr Hemingway, Mrs Caddy and Mrs Fenton.
In addition, I know you will want to wish all our new staff the very best of luck in their new posts.